Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Facing Finals Week


Just the other day I was thinking about what I was doing a year ago. Then I remembered that it was around finals week at Utah State University and I was sweating bullets over taking all my finals. That week was one of my most stressful weeks I can remember. I spent hours tirelessly cramming as much calculus, chemistry, and history as I could into my exhausted mind.

The whole time during that grueling week, my thought was "Why didn't I pay more attention in class so I wouldn't be in this mess?"  When I went to my classes, my mind was usually wandering from one thing to another and the effort I put into really studying and learning was dismal. I had always put off my projects and studying to the last minute.  Instead of studying for my tests, sometimes I’d go to a basketball game. Occasionally, I'd go to lunch with my friends rather than attend class. Then the next time I went to class I had no idea what we were talking about. 

So now, you are probably thinking "Elder Stradling, you're a Mormon missionary. What in the world does a story of you about college have to do about the gospel of Jesus Christ?” Well, I'll tell you. 

Some of us, if not all of us, get caught up in the things of the world.  And don’t think I’m excluding myself, because I’m speaking from experience.  The world is such a great place filled with many great things.  There’s so much to do here and we only have a short time to do them.  The thing is, we all have the same purpose in life.  That purpose is “to prepare to meet God and perform our labors.” -Alma 34:32. Although my purpose of going to college was to learn and go to class and do well on my tests to earn a degree, I sometimes got caught up in all the fun and forgot why I was there.  Just like I forgot what it was I was supposed to be doing in college, sometimes we get caught up in the world and forget what we should be doing.  Then at the last minute we scramble to get caught back up and get back on the right path.  Although we can all get back on the right path from wherever we are, it’s easier just to live it all the time.  

We all know what we need to be doing.  Whether it’s going to church, praying, or just showing love to people, we need to remember not to put those things off.  I know as we remember our purpose in life and not get distracted that we will have peace in our lives and find great happiness.   Remember that it is easier to stay following the gospel than to have to quickly catch back up at the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment