Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Plumber, Painter, Missionary

What does fixing plumbing, getting soaked in church clothes, and teaching people about Jesus all have in common?  To most people there isn’t much but for me it’s all part of a normal day’s work.

As a full time missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I live a life that to most of the world probably seems a bit strange.   For two years of my life I live in Tennessee, 1800 miles away from home, representing Jesus Christ and His church.  I didn’t always have a life like this before.  I used to go to sporting events, I’d go camping and hiking, and believe it or not, I even got girls to go on dates with me.  Then I traded all that life in for a two year calling to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ 24/7.

Now here I am, sitting in Pikeville Tennessee, giving my life to God.  Every day consists of reading and studying the scriptures, teaching people about Jesus Christ, hours of service, and church meetings.  There’s no room for sports, watching movies, college, or even girls.  Now you’re probably thinking, “Holy Cow!  Who in their right mind would make you do all that?”  Well, it might sound crazy, but I make myself do this.  No one forced me to do this, I did it myself.  I chose to serve these two years and I love it. 

I’m not going to lie to you, this last year has been the hardest time of my life, but it’s also been the best.  I’ve never worked so hard and I’ve never been so tired in my life.  I’ve also never been so happy in my life.  I’m out here because God has given me so much and I want to give back to Him.  I want to help others in every possible way.  I want to serve others, whether it’s by painting a barn, finding a lost puppy, or anything in-between.   I want people to know who their Savior and Redeemer is.  I want to help people to gain faith in Jesus Christ and return to live with their Heavenly Father.

I love what I do.  Although this life might seem unusual to the outside world, it’s the greatest thing I have ever done.   The reward has been worth the sacrifice.  I’ve had more of a conversion to Christ out here than any time before and every day is a learning experience.

There are almost 90,000 full time missionaries just like me from our church serving throughout the world.  All of us have the same purpose but every one of us has a different story of why we do what we do.  If you ever get the opportunity to talk to one of us, ask us why we give up everything to serve God.  The answers you'll get will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment