Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Time is Family Time





Isn't the Christmas season the greatest time of year?  Everyone brings you Christmas cookies.  As you drive down the road hundreds of lights illuminate houses and trees.  The air is filled with the aroma of pine and peppermint.  People seem to smile and wave more for no apparent reason.  Church bells ring to familiar sounds of Christmas carols.  People come knocking on your door just to sing to you.  Snowflakes glisten as they fall around you.  Dozens of presents snuggle around the Christmas tree.  Doesn't this all sound amazing?  I don't think there is any time better than the Christmas season. 


Ever since I can remember I have always loved the Christmas season.  One thing I have always loved doing during the holidays is shopping for the perfect present for each one of my good friends and family members.   I used to spend hours running from store to store searching high and low for the best Christmas presents ever.  I would carefully compare one toy to another, one tool kit to another, one set of cookware to another until I found the one perfect present for that person I had in mind.  As I look back now I see my shopping as more of an obligation and obsession.  Although my intentions were good, they were lacking.  I forgot the real reason behind Christmas.



Being out on a two year church mission, I’ve gained a big perspective of what Christmas is really about.  Christmas isn’t a time solely of shopping and gift giving.  Christmas is a time to remember the Savior and Redeemer of the world.  Not only is it a time to remember Jesus Christ, but it is a time to act on the precious principles he taught.  It's a time to help the poor and needy.  It's a time to give thanks.  It's a time to share.  It's a time to say sorry.  It's a time to spend with family.  It's a time to give back.  It's a time to love everyone.  It's a time to forgive and forget.  It's a time for all of us to forget our differences and come together to remember our Lord Jesus Christ and his teachings.  It's a time to be more Christlike.


Looking back on the Christmases before, I barely can remember the gifts that were given.  Being here in Tennessee, I don't even have most of those presents that were given to me, but what I do have is the memories of the times my family, friends and I spent together.  I remember going out and giving cookies and candy out to people and not telling them who it was from.  I remember the laughs and the fun we had together.  I remember going to church together and hearing the story of Jesus.   I remember giving out food baskets to those who couldn't afford a Christmas meal. I remember talking and playing with one another.  I remember the love we felt together.  Although presents break and wear out, the memories and feelings of Christmas with family will never fade.

Remember this Christmas season the reason of Christmas.  Remember the Savior Jesus Christ.  Remember to follow his example and help others as friends and family.  There is no better gift or present than the memories that we have when we come together as friends and family spending time remembering and following Jesus Christ's teachings.  Christmas can be the best time of the year if we remember Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment