Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Manly Ego Leads To Dangerous Trails

I vividly remember taking dozens of hikes while I was a boy scout. I have always loved hiking, especially long backpacking trips. Although I only weighed 90 pounds and was just a scrawny kid, I would fill my backpack to the brim with all sorts of supplies and treats. All of the scouts in the troop would meet up right before the hike and compare each others' bags. It was bragging rights to have the biggest pack and although I was the smallest one there, I would always have the biggest pack and was proud of it. For some reason God created me with a very competitive personality.
As we would get to the start of the trail-head, I would hurriedly get my pack strapped on and be biting at the bit to get on the trail.  I always wanted to be the first one on the trail and the first one to the camp.  My father was the assistant scout master and would continually say, "Kyle, slow down."  My dad, knowing I had severe asthma and a competitive nature, saw what was best for me and urged me to have a safe pace.  Although my dad always told me to slow down, my ego would shrug it off.  I would always stay at the front of the troop, and if I ever noticed someone gaining speed on me I would step up my pace, increase my stride, and give it my all.  Then the inevitable would happen.  I would start gasping for air as my lungs lit on fire.  I would have an asthma attack.  I quickly would pull  out my inhaler and start frantically puffing as much medicine as I could into my burning lungs.  I'd sorrowfully have to step off the trail, take my pack off, and watch all the boys pass by as I tried to recuperate.  Then my dad would catch up to me and say "Kyle, slow down."  I would shamefully tell my dad he was right and I should have slowed down.  He'd take his pack off and rest beside me until he knew I could breathe again. I wish I could say I learned from that experience but I would always start back up and run to catch up with the rest of the boys and reclaim my spot in front of the troop.  Although I didn't learn my lesson in Scouts, I'm starting to recognize the simple lesson my dad was trying to teach me.  
Mosiah 4:27 states: It is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. My dad was trying to get me to see that it wasn't important if I got to camp first and carried the biggest load but that I get there safely.  We as people all have the same goal to get back to our Heavenly Father.  We are somewhere on the trail of life.  Sometimes we get caught up in the race of life and our competitive nature gets the best of us.  We want to be in front of everyone and sometimes we forget why we are even on the trail.  We get so caught up in trying to be in front of others and carry the biggest loads that we put our spiritual safety at risk.  Inevitably we run out of strength and fall to the side of the trail watching others pass by.  The Lord then comes to our side and reminds us it isn't about our pace, it's about safely getting to our divine destination.
Remember that God doesn't want us to break ourselves trying to get back to him.  He knows our hearts and sees our desires.  Set a pace that is right for you.  If you see yourself running faster than you have strength slow down.  Don't run out of energy and fall off the path.  Continue towards th
e camp with steadfastness.  Learn from what the Lord tells you and when He gets you back on the path, stay with Him.  I wish I would've have stayed with my father; it would have saved me a lot of pain and struggle.
God wants us to get to Him safely. He loves each and every one of us so much. I know that He is there to help us but at first we must humble ourselves and find the pace that He wants us to follow. Learn from my mistake and slow down if you are running faster than you have strength.
"It is not requisite that a man should
 run faster than he has strength"

No comments:

Post a Comment